Friday, July 16, 2010

Baby Teleconferencing

Since I'm in Bolivia, while Rita and Helena Iara are in Brazil, the only way we've had to see and talk is through skype.  I had been rather worried that Helena might not recognize my two dimensional image on the computer screen (understanding the relation between two- and three-dimensions is much harder than it seems like it might be, not to mention the absence of smell and touch.

Well, this morning, she didn't seem to connect the image to me, unless, at least, I sang her "In the Jungle", her favorite song.  And instantly, a huge smile extended over her face.

With just sight, she might not be able to connect a two dimensional image to a three dimensional father, but add another sense, like sound, and it was all there.  I'll go into that a bit more in the next blog, where I talk about mirrors and subjectivity again.


No comments:

Post a Comment