Monday, July 25, 2011

Almost...

This morning, as Helena and I rocked in the hammock, looking out on the jungle, she glanced at the shirt I was wearing, one with the iconographic image of Che Guevara on it, and gave one of her sounds of exited discovery: "O!"  Then, as she now seems to do with anything she likes (her mother, her stuffed animals, her baby doll), she leaned down to kiss the photo on the shirt.

The dreams of a left-wing philosopher father: one week she recognizes Foucault on a magazine cover, the next an icon of Che... I had a full blog post imagined in only seconds.  When... "Bow, wow!" she said.  And then again.

She didn't see Che on my shirt.  She saw a cute dog.

 The thing about when a baby begins to talk, is that I learn that the thoughts that I had long projected on her... well, she has much more individual things going on in that rapid and active brain.  Among them, puppy dogs more than Latin American revolutionaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment